Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:46:43 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative committee in Victoria (Australia) is presenting an UPDATE session, 9am - 1pm, this coming Saturday, 6 September, at the Mercy Hospital in Melbourne.
I realise that most Lactnetters are too far away to think about attending, but you might be interested in what we are doing here.

The committee has put together a very interesting program.  We expect that anyone who attends is already familiar with the "Ten Steps" and the evidence that supports the Initiative.  BFHI is now up and running in Australia, after a long delay.  Several hospitals have been assessed in the past week or so.  The UPDATE is to present current information on the Initiative, and to assist units in preparation for assessment.  People who are eligible to be assessors will find the UPDATE valuable.

Sue Byrne, a well known leader in the Nursing Mothers Association, will give an overview of BFHI nationally.  Then we have an Assessment ''Hpothetical'', drawing on the knowledge and dramatic skill of committee members.  As the scene unfolds an experienced assessor, Maureen Minchin will be making her notes, not on a piece of paper, but on an overhead projector, for all to see.  The audience will be expected to participate in this ''hypothetical''.  I won't give away the story line, but you can imagine the dramatic potential of this situation.
The third part of the program is a Panel Discussion which I will chair.  Panel members include midwife and medical practitioners, and consumers, representing both the big city hospitals and regional centres.  The Panel will explore issues relevant to implementing the "10 Steps", through discussion of case scenarios depicting clinical situations encountered in maternity units.  The cases will include the hungry baby, breast engorgement, nipple trauma, use of a dummy (pacifier), and neonatal hypoglycaemia - all commonly seen in maternity care.  Members of the Panel are required to discuss management in a way that is consistent with the "10 Steps".  
I am looking forward to the meeting.  There have been a good number of registrations, but the venue will take late comers.  

Now that I have told you about it, I will have to let you know how it goes!  Watch this space.

Joy Johnston, Midwife FACM IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2