Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:51:55 +-10-30
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I resigned from ALCA in 1995 because I could no longer work with Maureen Minchin. 
Maureen's "comments" regarding Kathleen Auerbach's post and about the new organizations for LCs in Australia are just a small example of the very reason that I came to this decision.
For those of you who are interested I would like to clarify several issues related to the new organizations for LCs in Australia.
There are four new organizations for LCs in Australia now united under the banner of the Network of Australian Lactation Colleges. (NALC). The organizations are based in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland. There are also new organizations separate to NALC formed in the last few months in Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory. NALC has in excess of 400 members.
Yes! NALC was largely formed by ex ALCA members who felt they could no longer function within that organization.
Each member organization has a separate but similar constitution. I am the Vice -President of the South Australian College of Lactation Consultants (SACLC) so I can speak with some authority about our constitution.
Yes! - We do welcome non-IBCLCs (health professionals or Nursing Mothers of Australia Counselors (NMAA)) as associate members. We strongly believe in unifying all who work to help breastfeeding women and their babies. We do not see what is to be gained by excluding these people from membership. On the contrary the input of non-LCs has enriched our organization and widened our reach into the professional and non professional community. Associate members have voting rights but can not serve on the executive. The only reason that this decision was made is to ensure that any person acting as a spokesperson for our organization had a guaranteed minimum knowledge base.
Yes! -  Our constitution does allow in the future for us to accept as  full members non-IBCLCs who hold a tertiary lactation qualification as approved by the college. To assert that there should only ever be one acceptable qualification for lactation consultants makes about as much sense as suggesting that there should only be one qualification for midwives or pediatricians around the world. It is not the case in any other health professional qualification and given time it will not be so for LCs. Our constitution gives us the flexibility to be INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE. Are we about building empires or are we about SUPPORTING, PROTECTING AND PROMOTING BREASTFEEDING? 
In 1995 ALCA had branches in all states and territories barring the Northern Territory ( 7 branches). Four of these branches no longer exist. The entire ALCA National Council (the equivalent of the BoD) with one exception resigned in November 1996. Perhaps Maureen or some other current ALCA member on the LACTNET might enlighten us as to why this occurred. The ALCA "National" council which previously consisted of representatives from each branch consists of six Victorians (Maureen's home State) and one member from New South Wales. Yet, Maureen tells us that "ALCA remains strong"
I think that it is a great shame that Maureen should choose to use her time and skills to criticize other organizations and Lactation Consultants rather than in promoting breastfeeding.  It does everyone including Maureen a huge injustice.
Laureen Lawlor-Smith
IBCLC BMBS
President ALCA South Australia 1993-1995
President SACLC 1996
Editor NALC News    

ATOM RSS1 RSS2