Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:53:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Consider Frank Herbert's story of the 'Hidden Wisdom' in his book ‘Heretics of the Dune' 

"There was a man who sat each day looking out through a narrow vertical opening where a single board had been removed from a tall wooden fence. Each day a wild ass of the desert passed outside the fence and across the narrow opening—first the nose, then the head, the forelegs, the long brown back, the hindleg and lastly the tail. One day, the man leaped to his feet with the light of discovery in his eyes and he shouted for all who could hear him: 'It is obvious! The nose causes the tail!'"

The reason I submit this, is that it explains a lot. When your viewpoint is limited, your conclusions may be faulty.

I worked for the NYS inspection service and I learned a lot. They do excellent work, but when I was working there were only a few inspectors and we only covered a portion of NYS. Many areas were never inspected. After I quit, the inspection program restricted their efforts to migratory outfits which wanted inspection permits to enter other states.  Not all states, mind you. Some states don't care; have no inspection requirements. 

The point is, the incoming samples were skewed in any number of ways. Better inspectors find more cases. States with limited inspection service or without inspection contribute fewer cases. Some members of the public will send in samples to the government, some will not.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2