Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:07:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
 We have a duty to share our observations and expertise with our clients.  There are so many parents out there saying e.g. "I saw 3 IBCLCs and no one caught my baby's ties." That doesn't speak well to our profession.  From what I see on Facebook parenting groups, it's causing mothers to avoid LCs and go directly to ENTs and dentists that provide revisions.  It's true that there is some controversy about ties; but I believe you need to give your client full information and let them make the decision.  You can provide your assessment of restrictions, as well as the caveat that there is controversy about them.  You can offer and often provide links/references to information about ties so parents can do their research.  As a private practice LC, I broach the topic of ties at every visit.  I tell the parent that I usually do a tie assessment at initial visits, and ask their permission to do so.  I learned to do this after a parent, with a h/x of anxiety, became very irate with me after a visit, thinking that I was telling her that something was wrong with her baby.  :(   Anyway, since then, nearly every parent has agreed and wanted the tie assessment, and most say that "of course, they want the information!"  
Katherine Havener IBCLCStar LactationRoanoke VA
    On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 10:18:50 PM EST, Hadassah Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  

how do those of you in private practice approach a situation where you see a baby that is clearly tied, but you can tell the parents don't want to hear that? If it was something that was 100% medically agreed on, obviously I would say something, but with all the controversy with tongue tie, I don't feel that I am holding back any info if I don't. I will say there there seems to be some restriction and offer exercises to improve, but am apprehensive to suggest that baby is tied if it is clear that they are not interested. At the same time, I wouldn't want them to hear from someone later down the line that they are tied and then question why I didn't say anything. Your thoughts?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2