Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2017 19:13:12 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Thanks for the tip about the new video from Jane Morton, "Successful Breastfeeding Begins Right at Birth." Love it! I'm going to use this in my prenatal class from now on. I agree with the other comment though that I will also caution mothers that it's normal if their colostrum doesn't spray out. I frequently find that some mothers will have to work very hard for only a few drops and wouldn't want them to be discouraged. But maybe that will improve if we start more hand expression in the first hour, hopefully?  She did have other segments though where it drips out more slowly though, so that's good. 
Yes, we did find them down for a week or so and a link to purchase. I'm so glad they are back up. Maybe they were doing site maintenance and loading this new video? We had requested our RN's watch her ABC's of Latching video last month and received several comments from the RN's recently that it was removed and that is how I found out. I believe I did try to pull them up on youtube at the time and it said that I had to sign in because the content was inappropriate for younger viewers. Ideally, I didn't want to recommend to mothers if they had to sign in to view it. 
I really like also that she clearly says that you cannot breastfeed too much. If baby is rooting, put baby back on the breast. Just would like other opinions though about the comment that supplementing in this way will never interfere with breastfeeding and that they can spoon feed as much as possible with no worries. I do occasionally seem to find a baby that begins to like the flow of milk from the spoon very much rather than working at the breast. So I guess I would hesitate a little to have them spoon feed colostrum in the absence of any problems or risk factors. Am I wrong about this? But most of the time this issue resolves itself either with increased breast compressions or as mature milk production occurs. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Usually I will just try increased breast compressions first before spoon feeding of colostrum for otherwise healthy babies. Starting with the simplest and least invasive methods and moving on from there. I do just hesitate a little to recommend any away from the breast supplementation in the absence of risk factors or problems for this reason. 
I have heard that Jane Morton has said that they have pretty much completely stopped using breast pumps during the first few days, until there are signs of mature milk production. They have gone to hand expression only with her study that showed that it improved milk volumes over the first couple months. I am happy to see that because I'm seeing the same thing. Has anyone else tried this? I had a patient just last night whose baby is in the NICU that pumped 5 times and got nothing. Then we HE and got 2.2 ml. She was so excited! It is also less disruptive of their sleep at night and there is less clean up. I find though very rarely we will have a mother pump and she just responds very well to the pump and gets 30 ml on the first day. So we are thinking of advising that starting at about 24 hours they attempt pumping at least once a day so they can notice when they begin to get increased volume with the pump. We also want to make sure the NICU moms are familiar with pumping prior to discharge. Also we pump if the mom refuses HE because she is uncomfortable handling her breasts, or has carpal tunnel and that dad is unable or unwilling to help. We've been using HE with term and late preterm babies now instead of pumping with great success and switching over for our NICU moms as well. Anyone else trying this? Interested to hear how it is going. 
Sincerely,
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Date:    Fri, 19 May 2017 10:35:47 -0400
Subject: Re: jane morton's website

I had noticed they were down for a few weeks, replaced by a link to purchase.  I was about to contact her to see if the purchased downloads could be used freely throughout the institution (we use them to teach nurses and residents as well as for parents) when they came back up again.  I am so relieved.  Jane Morton, if you are reading this, thank you for these videos!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2