Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2015 09:32:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi All, I've searched the archives re: influenza and breastfeeding and the most recent reference is consistent with the CDC guidelines referencing the 2009 H1N1 recommendations which is what our infection control department is using. Consequently, our mother's breastfeeding mothers who test positive for the flu can't breastfeed. 
The November 2010 ILCA document "Tips for Parents: Protecting Your Baby agains Flu, states "Keep your baby at least 6 feet away from someone who is sick until the sick person's fever has been gone (without fever-reducing medication) for 24 hours." Those are the same guidelines we are following for the mother who is sick and comes from the CDC document. 
The Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice, 2013, pg 297, 2. c. ii states, "Precautions are necessary when the mother is actively contagious with certain diseases at the time of the baby's birth. For example, the mother with certain strains of influenza including H1N1, active tuberculosis.....on the day of birth must be isolated from her newborn until she has bee treated and/or is not contagious. She can and should provide her milk for her infant because these diseases are not transmitted via breastmilk."
Ruth Lawrence is reference, 2011, but I don't have that edition to see what she specifically writes.
I did find a Oklahoma State Department of Health document, Flu and Breastfeeding that was much more breastfeeding friendly but doens't change our Infection Control guidelines.
My questions, 1. what are the certain strains of influenza? 2. why can she give breastmilk but not breastfeed if she uses good handwashing, cleanses her breast and wears a mask if the diseases are not transmitted via breastmilk? 
My infectious disease contact is open to implementing changes in the guidelines recommended verbatim from the CED as long as I can prove it would be safe to let a mother breastfeed. 
Thank you.
Christine, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Menomonee Falls, WI

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2