Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2015 08:04:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I agree Christine!  
New moms often can't express drops of colostrum and I do not want to discourage.  When baby is latched
and nursing, I definitely point out the audible swallowing to reassure colostrum there, just not as easily
hand expressed at first. 
Remember modern labor & delivery--  longer hospital stay as we have more scheduled & elective
inductions, epidurals,  so much IV fluids, cephalohematomas etc... so baby often not even sucking well.
Regardless of those issues, If colostrum easily is expressed--I definitely attempt this.  Most of the time it works, but not always.
I always try skin to skin if baby does not easily latch after maybe 10min.  I leave baby with mom
for about 30min.  I am finding the baby will latch better and mom is calmer as well.
I have done both, colostrum expressed in mouth, on nipple and nothing...maybe a brief lick or latch.  
Sweet ease expressed and a successful feed.  I say this because have had this happen twice in the last week with
LTP babies.   
We have a lot of hispanic moms that choose 'both'  so the nurses are quick to grab formula to entice the latching.
I use formula as a last resort, but yes it has happened especially for a poor feeder that has borderline low blood
sugars that we are really encouraging to feed.
I find the cheek/ lips are best stimulation.  I think there are babies if you touch anywhere, nose, cheek
philtrum, wherever will stimulate sucking reflex.

I would say assisting latch is as individual as every baby!! whatever works sometimes to save the breastfeeding!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2