Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:09:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I would suggest referencing the original VHS tapes about Kangaroo Care done in Columbia with Susan Luddington, I believe.  Those principles could be applied to fullterm infants.  I think there is indeed a territory war about a lot of things - and the bottom line is about money.  IMHO.  Is there REALLY a right or wrong way to breastfeed?  Ask the moms and babies.  Are they comfortable, happy, connected?  Is the baby growing?  I don't want to ever hear again - "she told me I was doing it all wrong."  Ugh.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Meggie Ross

Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:31 AM

Subject: Disclaimer on Biological Nurturing website

Hi all

I just went to biologicalnurturing.com to find the link to the video for a breastfeeding workshop, and I was surprised to see that there is a Disclaimer posted that reads:

"It has come to our attention that a new DVD entitled “BabyBabyOhBaby” (Stark Productions, 2011) has used  the terminology ‘Laid-back breastfeeding’ from Dr Suzanne Colson’s intellectual property with no reference to Biological Nurturing®.  Although the mothers in the DVD are pictured as exuberant, some of the visual representation portrays mothers lying flat on their backs with their babies lying prone on top.  Research has demonstrated that these positions are known to be associated with respiratory distress in infants and may put vulnerable babies at risk. The positions may also be disadvantageous for mothers.  Dr Suzanne Colson wishes to disassociate herself from such views in that DVD as she has no involvement with the makers or distributors of it and does not recommend such positions. Please see Dr Suzanne Colson’s book An Introduction to Biological Nurturing  New Angles on Breastfeeding.” THIS VISUAL REPRESENTATION IS NOT BIOLOGICAL NURTURING and any person trained as a CLBC would never suggest that a mother use these positions."

I don't know about whether there is intellectual property violations with the DVD "Baby Baby Oh Baby" - that we'll leave to the lawyers (the term laid back breastfeeding is used in the DVD, as is baby led latching), but in terms of the content I am confused. I use this DVD for our prenatal breastfeeding class (as well as the Biological Nurturing DVD - depends on my mood. Both DVD's have pluses and minuses). But what interests me is the reference to the 'visual representation of mothers lying flat on their backs with babies lying prone on top'. In the DVD, there are 3 clips of babies in what might be called a laid back position. 

1. 3 mins 40 secs - the breast crawl immediately following a birth is shown. Both mom and baby are awake. Mom seems to be prone, which isn't necessarily good or bad - though raising the head at least a bit is usually is how moms feel most comfortable. I wouldn't call her prone position unsafe though. No mention at this time of laid back positioning. 

2.  9 mins 30 secs - 5 sec clip of a mother lying flat with baby prone.  Mom is awake, stroking her baby who is asleep. The clip dialogue is about 'being calm and spending time before you breastfeed to snuggle and be present in mind, body and spirit". This doesn't appear to be unsafe. No mention here either of laid back positioning. 

3. 10 mins 30 secs  - another breast crawl that looks very soon- if not immediately after birth. Hard to tell exactly how prone vs semi reclined mom is but both mom and baby look comfortable. Mom and baby are awake. Again, no mention of laid back positioning 4. 11 mins 50 secs - a very brief clip of same mom once baby slightly older (days? weeks?). She is semi reclined, holding baby skin to skin and both are awake. The laid back position is mentioned here. The degree of semi reclined seems to be about the same as in the Biological Nurturing website clip. 

All other clips of moms and babies are in other positions (cradle, cross cradle, football, side lying) in bed or in a chair. 

I fail to see the concern here as so strongly expressed in the disclaimer.  At no time is there anything unsafe represented in the DVD that I can see. It looks like this is more a intellectual property war rather than a discussion re. unsafe practices. If that is what this is about, then IMHO it is unprofessional to suggest there is a clinical practice concern with the Baby Baby Oh Baby DVD. 

Besides that, this raised yet again for me the 'safe sleep vs skin to skin time' conundrum. Put any mother and baby skin to skin for any length of time and the lovely mix of fatigue and hormones will surely do the trick and both will soon be dozing, if baby  isn't feeding (or even then). The evidence seems to be clear that prone sleeping is unsafe for newborns on hard or soft inanimate surfaces. But what about safely tucked vertically between mothers breasts, baby's head on her chest under her chin and supported in such a way that baby won't slip into a position that would compromise the airway. Is prone sleeping unsafe in these conditions? Have we done the research? Will we ever do the research? What if mother isn't prone, but semi reclined? Is that safer? Do we have the evidence? And just how semi reclined would be safe? 30 degrees? 45? 60? Ahhhh, just too many questions and not enough answers. So how do we approach this in the meantime? This disclaimer has me in a dither. Your wise thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, Meggie

Meggie Ross, IBCLC, PHN

BC, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2