Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:01:46 +0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hi there,

This is my first post to Lactnet. I have enjoyed learning from all experienced IBCLC’s on this list, so firstly, thanks for all that you share!

I recently sat the IBLCE exam and am awaiting my results. Before kids I was a registered nurse and am currently working to wards re-registering as a nurse after over 5 years looking after my kids at home. I need to show that I have worked equivalent to three months full time in the past five years though I have only worked six weeks as a nurse. BUT under the “Recency of Practice standard” it states that practice hours can include “time spent undertaking postgraduate education leading to an award or qualification that is relevant to the practice of nursing and/or midwifery”. I consider IBCLC to come under this clause, but after talking to the staff at the AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency) board I will need to provide some “persuasion” in my application as the “post-graduate education” undertaken for the IBLCE exam isn’t your standard university “masters” or “honours”, but rather independent study. Can anyone offer me any advice with regards to how to phrase my argument in my application? CERP’s and CPD points are a valid way of attaining education but might be outside of the mindset of those on the board. Has anyone else been through a similar process?

I plan to set up a private practice but in the meantime I need to bring in some money. I wondered in what ways IBCLC’s had combined their RN and IBCLC duties? I have considered going back to work as a practice nurse but would also like to be able to take consults as an IBCLC. Is this practically possible? I am not sure I can sell this idea to future workplaces. This may take me away from my duties as a practice nurse, plus with the added complexities of payment, eg Medicare not covering lactation consults, plus I would want to earn more money per hour for lactation consults etc. Is there a future for the LC in a busy medical practice?

I am on daily digest, so direct replies would be preferred.

Kind regards,

Jenny Lynn

Breastfeeding Counsellor
Australian Breastfeeding Association
2013 IBLCE exam candidate

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2