Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 11:45:07 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I’ve been reading along with the posts from last week re: “poor weight gain+ptt+reflux” and “unexplained weight loss” with particular interest because I have a baby with similar issues and I seem to be the only one concerned. Baby C was born April 5 (posting with permission) weighing 7lb 3.8oz, initially lost down to 6- 12 (sorry for you metric folks, we still use lb and oz!) but gained at 7 days and then was not seen until last week when he was 1 month old and weighed 7lb 3.5oz.  I am usually the one trying to get the pediatrician to back off and let babies gain at their own rate, but there is something else going on here.  Baby was sleeping through the night but feeding every 1- 1.5 hours through the day and VERY fussy, also spitting  up  a moderate to large amount of milk after every feeding despite good burps. I have worked with mother on latch, as she complained of nipple pain during feeding, and put them on a feeding and pumping plan (feeling that baby had lost to the point of not having much energy and subsequently her supply had decreased), having her nurse then pump and give supplement of her ‘hind milk’.  The spit up decreased and baby’s stools got nicely yellow and seedy (they were more ‘orange’ and fewer in number prior to supplementing with her hind milk) but in 4 days gained just 1.5 oz—now at 5 weeks of age he is slightly above his birth weight at 7lb 5 oz.  Pediatrician seemed fine with this and scheduled follow up in 2 MONTHS.  Am I over reacting here or is there more to this?  I am concerned.  Will appreciate any wise words!

Molly Scarborough McMillion RN, IBCLC

Lewisburg WV

Molly Scarborough McMillion RN, BSN, IBCLC, CCE, CPST

|Perinatal Educator | Lactation Consultant| Tiny Toes Program Coordinator|Greenbrier Valley Medical Center| 202 Maplewood Ave Ronceverte WV 24970 | •304.647.6017 |mobile • 304-667-4362|  fax 304-647-6544 | www.gvmc.com<http://www.gvmc.com/>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain information that is

Proprietary, Confidential, or legally privileged or protected. It

is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named

in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this

message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the

material from your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy

this message and do not disclose its contents or take any action in

reliance on the information it contains.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2