Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2013 16:36:31 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I don't often post here any more, but any time the Lact-Aid is part of the topic, I think I might be able to help.  I've spent a total of ten years nursing 6 adopted babies, and used 
the Lact-Aid about half of that time.  Besides that, I've been involved,
 to some extent, with hundreds of moms, over the past quarter century.  
Most of them were adoptive moms, but some were bio moms who were trying 
to relactate or had been nursing all along but had serious supply 
issues.  

It sounds to me like you are doing everything possible to help increase your client's milk supply, and also like she is in serious danger of burnout, if she keeps stressing out over milk supply. It would certainly be a shame if someone who wants to breastfeed so badly, should end up just bottle feeding formula.  I think what I would do, at this point, is emphasize the physiological and emotional benefits her baby is receiving from her milk and from nurturing at the breast, and encourage her to relax and take joy in her baby. She can keep using the Lact-Aid as needed just like I and many other moms have. Encourage her to see the Lact-Aid, not as a reminder that she isn't producing enough milk, but as a friend that is making it possible for her to give her baby the benefits of breastfeeding without having to worry about not providing all the food he needs. I think that is the best way to avoid burnout and keep the baby receiving the benefits of breast milk and 
nurturing at the breast for as long as both of them want to keep doing 
it.  The reduction of stress may well increase her milk supply, at least
 to some extent.  I know that stress doesn't diminish milk supply in all
 cases, but it certainly does in many, including me.  

Making using the Lact-Aid as easy as possible will be very important. If she doesn't all ready have 6 or more units, I would encourage her to get them.  Lact-Aid sells a package of six units for about the same price as a deluxe kit, which includes two units, plus the other items that are needed to use it.  That way, washing and filling Lact-Aids only needs to be done once a day, or possible twice on some days.  Then, experiment with being able to put it on and use it in front of people, without it being noticed.  When I very first started using it, 30 years ago, I couldn't have imagined being able to use it in public without it being seen, but I managed to do it and it wasn't that difficult!  I had a fabric pocket with a clip on it, that a filled Lact-Aid fit down into.  I would have one all ready in the pocket, in a Tupperware tumbler, in my diaper bag.  When it was needed, I would reach in, unwind the tube, and cover it in my hand while I whipped it out of the diaper bag and up under my top and clip it to my bra.  
Another thing to remind this mom is that there will probably come a time when the baby will no longer need the supplement from the Lact-Aid, most likely after he starts taking other foods.  Then, breastfeeding can continue as long baby and mom want to.  That, to me, was the reward for my earlier diligence!  

Best wishes to you, your client and her baby!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2