Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 00:26:55 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I agree with you Laura.
Here in Italy, the matter about hind- and foremilk is now referred by mothers (and unfortunately and often first by HCPs too!) as follows:

"As foremilk is not so good in fats and so on, try to empty as well breasts otherwise your kid will not grow enough"
Or
"The baby has to stay at breast 10 minutes, as before this time, there's only that watery foremilk "
Or
"You have to check that the baby is getting enough of hindmilk, or you will have an imbalance between fore- and hindmilk.

And so on.

In my mind the problem is that now there are many new scientific information, but the "heads" of people is not changed and put forcedly the new info in the *old* schemes.
Hugs
Martina Carabetta, PP-IBCLC
Rome, Italy
www.latteecoccole.it

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Per conto di Laura Spitzfaden
Inviato: venerdì 31 agosto 2012 6.11
A: [log in to unmask]
Oggetto: Re: the "official word" on hindmilk/foremilk

I don't know if this is specific to the U.S. but I have noticed that whenever moms have scientific information about breastfeeding, they attempt to use the information to control the lactation process.  Many moms seem to prefer to figure out the right steps to follow and have a difficult time with the concept of letting go of control and following the baby's lead.   Maybe this is due to the fact that so many moms in the U.S. formula feed?

I, too, am fascinated by lactation science but fortunately, when I was breastfeeding, I was way too lazy to try to control the process.

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2