Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:42:55 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
That is definitely an urgent situation!  Since the mother cares about preserving her nursing relationship with her baby, it sounds to me like she would benefit greatly from using the Lact-Aid, for all feeds, at least at first.  Especially for someone with six kids, the Lact-Aid would be preferable to the SNS, because mom can get set up to nurse so much more easily, with a little practice.   It wouldn't take her any more time than prepare bottles and spending time bottle feeding.  Besides getting the calories into the baby, it can help mom feel much more secure and relaxed while she's nursing. I'm sure her self-esteem is taking a beating from this baby doing so poorly!  

If there is any way possible for her to get some help with the other kids, so that she can just focus on getting that baby gaining some weight, that would be beyond helpful, even if it was just a couple of days.  

I would also say to start baby and mom both on probiotics.  There are some formulations that dissolve completely enough that they will not clog the Lact-Aid tube.  Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children is what I used with my last three kids. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2