Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 11:59:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I've got to be honest...I don't remember the original premise of this discussion.  :)

Pat wrote, "Re: supplementing a baby over 6 mo  in an industrialized area. ie:USA   Let's be practical and not check our common sense.."  My thoughts are right there with Pat. 

Isn't donor milk from a milk bank available *by prescription* for babies with health needs?  I'm not sure this is even an option in the US at this time for healthy babies 6-12 months, so it is not an option we would share with a mom.  As for informal milk sharing, we know it's common, but there are potential risks that need to be addressed there, too.   Brain growth is so important; if mom was frequently separated from her baby, I'm not sure total replacement of breastmilk with solids as someone suggested is appropriate either.  

I have worked with moms who had weaned previous babies because of needing to supplement with some formula and they thought it negated all the benefits of breastmilk and breastfeeding when they were together.  How sad.  We know that some breastmilk will always be a better choice than no breastmilk.  We need to meet moms where they are, offer practical information so she can make an informed choice, then continue to support her even if the outcome may include partial formula.  It may not be *our* ideal for her, but that's okay.  We don't live in an ideal world either.

Amy Peterson, IBCLC
Idaho

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2