Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:56:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Erin, an IBCLC from Worcester, said, "...I'd like to clear up the idea that a pump rep has been hired.  You're actually talking about a very dedicated IBCLC named Amy Robinson who has spent 8+ years working for a pittance for WIC out of sheer love and in the past few years has shown those around her at UMass how much she knows and how hard she is willing to work by going above and beyond in her support of nursing mothers who need pumps or pump service for one reason or another.  I can assure you that her first and really only priority is mothers and babies."

Unfortunately, this just confirms what was not so subtly hinted at in the article. It *is* IBCLC's being hired, but they are non-nurse IBCLC's. Which puts the rest of the article in the terrible light of stating that non-nurse IBCLC's provide substandard care and that using non-nurse IBCLC's *degrade* (their word) the breastfeeding program. 

Again, I think it's terrible that nurses are losing their jobs at a time when most states are looking at ways to increase the nursing workforce because of nursing shortages. Hospitals everywhere are advertising hiring and retention incentives. States are passing education grants for new nursing students. Private, state, and federal agencies are all saying we will not have enough nurses to care for patients. So, to hear of hospitals firing nurses is sad. It is a terrible thing to see happen anywhere.

What I took issue with is that the union chose this field - the IBCLC - to say that a non-nurse IBCLC degrades the program and provides substandard care by utilizing lower skilled workers. The position is for an IBCLC to assist breastfeeding mothers. When put in the context of breastfeeding, are non-nurse IBCLC's lower skilled? In the context of nursing, yes; but in the context of breastfeeding? It is being couched in a context like that of the hospital replacing Nurses with Nurse's Aides. Is that a fair comparison? Is the non-nurse IBCLC the equivalent of a Nurse's Aide in the IBCLC world? Don't all IBCLC's take the same test?

I support nurses as the expert providers of nursing care. I also support IBCLC's as the expert providers of breastfeeding care and support!  I feel that while the credentials can certainly be complementary, having either one does not automatically ensure you are a better version of the other.

Erin also stated, "I might be green and I certainly can't start an IV but I'm not a pharma rep or a joke."

Erin, I have faith in you! I am certain that you have amassed a large amount of knowledge, and a large number of hours assisting breastfeeding mothers and their families, and that you have demonstrated adequate competence by passing the IBLCE exam, and being recommended by an already practicing IBCLC. I'm sure you will continue to provide excellent care to mothers and babies.

Angela Hartfelder IBCLC, RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2