Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:42:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Karleen,

Congratulations! You and Nina are great communicators! I just received notice of your new article and immediately took the time to read it in its entirety. I continually found myself flabbergasted at the quantity of things detailed in the formula survival kits, but when you explained each in detail, as I visualized the potential risky places that evacuees may find themselves, I couldn't argue with a single item!!! As your 3 dimensional step by step picture evolved, (assisted HUGELY by your comparative color illustrations of needed supplies;-), it occurred to me that this is hopefully going to awaken at least the relief agencies, and potentially savvy parents/relatives/caregivers to this drawback to formula feeding versus the continued normalcy of breastfeeding in the emergency situation.

Even in non-emergency situations, it's obvious that possibly 99% of caregivers of formula fed infants are ignorant (or in denial) of the presence of microbes in powdered formula and the inability of manufacturers to produce a sterile powdered product, as well as the difficulty in cleaning standard bottles and nipples.  

Emergencies quite often happen unexpectedly, or at least too quickly to assemble what is needed, most recent example here: the early fall snowstorm that paralyzed transportation and knocked out electrical power for long periods in large areas of the northeastern U.S. this past week!!!

Once again, I congratulate you both, and in fact, sort of envy you how much satisfaction you must be feeling right now for having "had your say" for all of us, and more important, for all babies and their mothers. I hope this excellent and thoughtful work gets spread far and wide! As Iona suggested, let's see how we can "sic" the press on it;-)

Happy to have used this for my 3rd "say" of the day on Lactnet!

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC   Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2