Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:03:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I am in need of some fast assistance, please!
Our hospital manager has called a meeting which includes the lactation staff and two physicians on the board of pediatrics. One of the items we are discussing (which I think is short for letting us know!) is about the use of finger feeding either in or out of our special care nursery. 
I am studying for the big exam on Monday and I can't seem to quickly locate the research we need to back up how finger feeding breastfed babies is more advantageous than bottle feeding. One of their concerns is about the risk of aspiration during finger feeds (I know!)
We received an email today from the nurse in charge of policies for NICU and SCN that said something like this "We don't need finger feeding here. I haven't seen anyone do that in about 10 years."
Wow...this is really frustrating...not to mention our hospital is still giving sips of sterile water to breastfeeding babies to "make sure they can swallow" (even after I have supplied them with multiple sources detailing why this practice is dangerous and outdated!)  
We are also going to discuss (which I think is short for being called on the carpet) why we are educating breastfeeding mothers about the use of supplements when "our" information contradicts the information given by physicians. I plan to take the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice to the meeting (thanks for the idea, Liz!). Can you think of anything else?
Thank you so much!
Marie Ivey, BSN, RN, LCCE, CLC 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2