Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:48:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I was called at home today by one of our CLCs who was filling in for me today. One of the Neonatology Nurse Practitioners was upset that a formula feeding baby was only taking 14-24 ml of formula on his 2nd day of life.  She stated he was taking 30 or more mls on his first day.  I am doubtful that baby was able to hold all of that formula down on day one, I am sure he was having emesis with all of that formula. The CLC heard the Nurse Practicioner and argued with her what the baby was eating on day 2 as to be more normal. She showed her the feeding plans that we use to help moms when breastfeeding is not going perfectly and baby needs fed. The Practitioner was FURIOUS we were telling moms to feed so little to the babies, she stated we had nothing to teach her as she has been doing this for many, many years and she has always known stomach capacity and we do not know what we are talking about.  She ran directly to our managers office and demanded to speak with our Director also!  Well, a lactation miracle happened!  Our bosses stuck up for us!!  WhhaaaHooooo!!  Why, because THANK YOU to Nancy Morhbacher, who spoke at an all day long conference at our hospital recently, our bosses knew we were right!  We are practicing the evidence! 

If any of you can convince your facility to have Nancy come, I highly recommend it!  Your leaders need to attend!  We had her for 2 days so that staff could take turns attending.  Not everyone came but it made a big impact on some hard core old nurses, who felt things don't need to change!  

Happy Day today...too bad it happened on my day off!

PS  Unfortunately, I am sure this is not the end of it as she was threatening to take this to the medical directors of Neonatology.  

Pamela A. Hendrix, RNIV, IBCLC, RLC
S. Florida Hospital Based

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2