Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 05:50:48 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Christine Bussman wrote:  "I'm sorry, but by your definition I would say that _pasteurized_ breast
milk is formula.  The pasteurization is a 'manufacturing process' and there could easily be mistakes in temperature or time measurement."

Christine the pasteurization process  for Donor Human Milk is very carefully controlled.  The pasteurizer automatically brings the water  to the correct temperature, and times the process. For the Holder Method, this is 62.5 C for 30 minutes, then it empties the hot water and starts the cooling process, each batch is electronically logged for temperature and time. It is not a random process.

You mention that there are no studies comparing the long term use of breastmilk versus pasteurized donor milk.
In the transition home for babies orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, we see the miracle of pasteurized donor milk everyday. We had one HIV pos baby on donor milk for 3 years because each time we took her off the donor milk her eczema flared up causing raw excoriated areas, as did her diarrhoea. When we put her back on the donor milk, her skin cleared within days and the diarrhoea stopped. She thrived and is doing so well now.

Another infant was brought to us at 7 months had been born prematurely weighing 1,5 kg. He had been cared for in a hospital setting fed formula and in 7 mths he had only gained 1,2 kg. We put him onto donated pasteurized breast milk and in 2 weeks he gained 550 grams.

The studies may not be there but in the past 9 years we have seen the most amazing difference pasteurized donor milk makes in the lives of the babies (both HIV pos and neg) we have cared for. It is nothing short of miraculous and has made me passionate about  the phenomenal properties in breast milk -even when it has been pasteurized. Wish I could post some before and after photos!

Penny Reimers IBCLC
iThemba Lethu Breastmilk Bank
www.ithembalethu.org.za 
South Africa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2