Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:07:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hi All,

Although I hate to open *Pandora's Box* again...I thought this was an interesting response from Medela. I submitted a question on the Medela web site that said something like this: "I am a new LC working in a hospital setting in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We have used/and are using your informational tear sheets to reinforce specific concepts discussed with our moms during their stay with us. I am aware that Medela is non-compliant (at this time) with the WHO code. Since ethically, I can't continue to give out this information...what is your response?
Thank You,
Marie Ivey, RN, BSN, CLC 

Ms. Ivey – Thank you for your email inquiry.  We are so pleased that you find the tear-sheets helpful for your patients.  As a healthcare provider, you can and should provide materials and/or products to your mothers that you deem necessary, helpful and accurate in content.  The WHO Code states that.

With regard to the WHO Code, one organization has determined Medela to non-compliant based on their interpretation of the Code; however we have not received written notification from the World Health Organization nor UNICEF.  Each organization needs to determine how they wish to interpret the Code, or if they want someone else to make this determination for them.  For clarification, Medela has never, and will never, market breastmilk substitutes.  The area in which has come into question is related to bottles and teats.  Everything that we do is to support breastfeeding and the breastfeeding mother.  

Please visit our website at http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/assets/file/MedelaStatementIIWHOCodeFINAL.pdf or feel free to call me directly and I would be more than happy to explain the situation in more detail.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Rachel S. Mennell
Director of Marketing Communications and Services – Breastfeeding

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2