Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:54:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Joan asks where the evidence is for refraining from trying a bottle teat in the case of the baby who is getting bottle fed his mother's milk during a sudden onset nursing strike after H1N1 vaccination.

There isn't any, I don't think.  There have been reported cases of bottle teats becoming stuck on breasts by suction, and injury has resulted, so I would want to be present during any such attempt, and I would be hesitant to counsel a mother to try this unless there is a competent person present who could help her get the teat off again if necessary, so, not as phone advice.  

All of us have at one time or another done something we wouldn't want to see written up on tear-off sheets for every mother to be handed 'just in case'.  I would not castigate someone who helped a mother in this way after trying all the usual things.

cheers
Rachel Myr
at a perinatal care conference where breastfeeding is SO not center stage, in Norway (!!!)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2