Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:49:20 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I would like to share with you an experience I had a couple of weeks ago ....which opened my eyes as to the difficulty we face in addressing this belief.  And it had NOTHING (almost) to do with breastfeeding.

As a Public Health Nurse, I've been asked to provide education to volunteers in the "Baby Coach" program - and of course the main part of my talk is related to breastfeeding - how they can provide prenatal encouragement (I LOVE "The Breastfeeding Planner" from Caboolture Mums & Little Ones and use it as a model) http://www.mumsandlittleones.com/files/CMLO_Breastfeeding%20WEB%20planner..pdf

....there I got some breastfeeding linkage!  <grin>

Another issue I teach about is oral health - and the importance of avoiding introducing the bacteria that cause cavities into babies' mouths.  "Cleaning" a pacifier by putting it in your mouth then putting it in the baby's, taking food from your mouth and giving it to the baby and ....kissing the baby in the mouth.   [Although I am "American-looking" I am culturally, ethnically and emotionally Puerto Rican - so my "envisioning" of kissing family members - babies and others other than my husband - is on the cheek...so that is MY culture.] 

WOW - I walked right into a BIG storm - many of the women present routinely kiss their babies on the mouth - and my statements were greeted with a great deal of anger, defensiveness and disbelief with an addition of sarcasm and "immunity theory" (if you expose them now, then the breastfeeding will protect them).

Why do I bring this up?  Because too often we talk about "them" and "their" beliefs and "those stubborn people" (of course that isn't verbalized, but it is implied and even thought...)

We must realize that there are cultural beliefs and issues in EVERY culture - and they are hard-held and emotional.  It is VERY important to know them, understand them, acknowledge them (and don't do what I did on this occasion) and be prepared for the long-term GENTLE nudging towards a different view.  

AGAIN a reason to collaborate - meet those who work with these moms prior to pregnancy and develop an educational plan that can be a LONG-TERM, positive, persistent message - rather than blundering in as I did!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC (since 1985)
California USA
....and celebrating MORE IBCLCs among us so I can retire!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2