Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:10:07 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi wise ones, 
I have the mom's permission to share info:
Male baby is 8 weeks. They have struggled with pain with bfing from the beginning, and supply is a little on the low side. Mom is pumping 7 times per day (hosp grade), which is all she can manage, and taking herbs to increase milk. Baby had tight posterior frenulum, 'mild to moderate', which was clipped about 2 weeks ago. I can feel more of a wave when he sucks on my finger. I would describe his palate as a bubble palate- finger gets stuck up there and if I try to move it back towards soft palate he gets uncomfortable.  Mom is going to try to slowly work back there to desensitize palate. 
All along, mom has put baby to breast about 4 times per day. Any more was too painful- some clamping and some abrasion. Now, abrasion gone but the clamping is worse. We practice having him open wide to bottle, but his widest just isn't that wide- even when yawning. Tried a sheild-he sucked on tip. He has had one Osteopath treatment for this and will go back- so far hasn't helped. She is using a good bottlefeeding technique. 
In summary, tongue improved, won't open mouth far- better with bottle than breast. More ways to get baby to open wider mother and I have discussed: 
A supply line to motivate him to open wider/suck better at breast (would this work?)
CST or chiro?
Mom has a small mouth- genetic? Wait for him to grow?
Thanks!
Mary Taylor, LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2