Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:19:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
<< And here’s the thing: people like them more than they like us.  >>

It's more than they like them more than they like us. In many cases, I'd say people like "them" and hate "us."

"They" bring freedom, health, opportunities - for mere dollars.

"We" bring guilt, fear, pain. 

The more I'm involved in my nursing classes, the more glaringly obvious it becomes. Here are some huge generalizations:

Student nurses don't really want to think about breastfeeding. They're young and think breastfeeding is gross. They're older and didn't breastfeed their babies and feel guilty. The "benefits of breastfeeding" don't really outweigh the convenience of not breastfeeding. They'll soon be nurses, and how will their impressions affect other mothers?

Doctors don't want to think about breastfeeding. They, or their wives, didn't breastfeed, and their babies turned out just fine. How does their attitude transfer to parents?

Hospitals don't want to think about breastfeeding. It costs them money. Training nurses, fielding calls, dealing with babies who are not breastfeeding well and turning yellow. You can't quantify it, you don't know what's going it, it's difficult to chart. Plus, if they contract with the right company, sometimes the company gives them treats (lunches, "free" pens, bagels and cream cheese.)

"We" give them nothing. 

In our wonderful world of LactNet, and in LLL, we have the incredible feeling of knowing that what we do is significant and meaningful. But, exit that world, and it is amazing how much anger many have for "us."

It has been an incredibly humbling and difficult experience, one that makes me sit and wonder where my thoughts are, what are my goals, why am I doing this? The continual sift through poor information and rude comments and more angry confrontations than I ever expected. 

If, somehow, the wonderfulness of breastmilk could be transferred to a baby, without the embarassment of lifting a shirt, or the inconvenience of holding a baby, why we could bottle it and sell it. Oh, yes, that's what "they" are doing.

I am so looking forward to getting out of school, and getting my head out of this big, black cloud.

Sam Doak
11 more weeks...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2