Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:56:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (60 lines)
Susan,

Sorry Susan I didn't mean to exasperate you- I thought I did read your posts carefully 
and these two quotes taken together...

"I think the "window of opportunity" and the "solids displacing breastfeeding" theories can 
sometimes become mirror images of each other if taken to extremes."

And

"The factors in overfeeding an infant solids were:  number of feeds.  That's it.  There was 
no relationship with whether the solid was offered before or after the breast.  This really 
means that mothers and babies (as they rightly should) can develop a rhythm that works 
for them without getting it "right" by the big rule book."  

...made me think that you thought  the concern about overfeeding solids or simply the "Nursing First for the First Year" message could be an extremist position...I'm sorry if I 
misunderstood you, and I whole heartedly agree with the idea that there shouldn't be a 
lot of "breastfeeding rules."

I have never personally met someone who takes the "solids displacing breastfeeding" 
Theory to extremes. Even the Muslim American women I have counseled offer solids 
between 4-6 months per pediatricians recommendations, but maybe you meet less 
acculturated women in your practice than I do.

The "Nurse First for the First Year" message implies that solids WILL be offered, so while 
it helps educate women that breastmilk is the most nutrient dense food a child will ever 
have it does not promote withholding solids- thus it can never be labeled an extremist 
position. 

Until someone comes up with a more accurate (yet still concise) message it's the best 
one I've got that gets the job done, and ntil I meet even one "solids displacing 
breastfeeding" extremist I'm not going to worry too much about the "Nursing First for the 
First Year"/ solids displacing breastfeeding  "Theory" being taken to such an extreme that 
it becomes a mirror image of the "window of opportunity" theory. 

Maybe in some other parts of the world the task is to educate "breastfeeding extremists" 
that withholding solids from 6 months to two years of age is unhealthy, but I think the 
task before the vast majority of LCs it to educate mothers about the importance of 
exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months and continuing breastfeeding through the second 
year of life, which will only be accomplished when mothers understand the proper role of 
solids in the diet of the young child.

Jen O'Quinn

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2