Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:29:23 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
The words that leap out at me in the UK report kindly sent by Morgan Gallagher are worrisone.    
> "However, not every mum is able to breastfeed ..."
That is, acceptable comments followed by "however" or "but", words which signify a change of tack or contrast.  People pick up on these verbal cues, sometimes without being aware.  So the bit about "not every mum" being able to breastfeed is likely to stick.  There is no mention in the report that unability to breastfeed affects a very small percentage and that the low BF rate is culturally influenced.

Furthermore, I am most uncomfortable with the heading of this strand, about "baby milk", when it is intended to mean something of non-human origin.  I believe in being careful about semantics.  For instance, my most recent article (in press) uses "milk" for the milk produced by the breasts of human mothers.  That's what it is, milk.  Other milks need to be tagged with a descriptor to note their origin, e.g. "artificial baby milk", "manufactured milk", "cow's milk".  How many times have I heard people ask when a breastfeeding mother can staft her baby on "milk".  I always point out that her baby is indeed milk-fed.  (I do get some looks that imply I am terribly ignorant.)

Virginia
in Brisbane 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2