Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:50:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
My first thought upon reading Jay's comments were - we can substitute any number of professions here and it would be the same thing.

That is life. We, as the pioneers, feel very protective of our profession and I think that is a blessing.

I also think that the key to all of this is self awareness - and I struggle with the thought of how to teach/give/project this to others who do not have it.

And guess what? Most people do not.

You can hint, nudge, write to, confront, spell out, etc. something and can either get someone very defensive that will still not get it OR (if the milk gods are with us) someone who will be receptive and say ' wow, thanks, I have learned something'.

The tendency of freshly minted IBCLCs is to think they know it all and to feel that have so much to give. That is probably true for all newly certified professionals. I passed, I am a genuis.

I think it takes a while to learn to control yourself and let others speak- especially the mothers. We should be heard after hearing others, after deciding if we have something of value to add. I think the biggest skill is helping others (mom, student, colleague) discover by themselves (with your gentle guidance),  something that you already know.

Remember - you can see your work as a job ,career or calling - those of us who are the most vocal and feel the most pain about incompetents are the ones who have been called to do this work. We have to do it - not matter what. 

Others may see it as a tool for their jobs or a way to step up the ladder at their institution.

IBLCE is working to find its way - this is a totally new profession, twenty + years is nothing. It will take time, trial and error,  as well as adaption to the realities of society. When the certification began I do not think we imagined that the health care professionals would be the ones to be in the majority.

Things change, adaption is slow. The certification is worldwide.

What we need to remember in any of these discussions, I feel, - is that - YO - we have done the same venting over and over and over again - and YES - we have the five day wonders who are making us nuts.

BUT - be constructive. Think - what can we do to bring these people up to some sort of basic level? What can be done to entice them into learning? How can we deal with their hangups which they project into their work?

I gripe all of the time. We all do.

I would also like to mention that some of the recent discussions and posts on this list have been fantastic.

Evi Adams
  Israel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2