Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:02:46 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
#Apparently domperidone is used in treating horses to increase milk production, specifically to treat an equine toxicosis that effects normal partuition and lactogenisis.  From one source I've heard a concern that these horses treated with domperidone(Equidone) do not produce colostrum.  That has led to a query about the effects of domperidone on human milk, specifically on immunological components as they have been found to be lacking in the colostrum of mares treated with domperidone.  Look- I know we are not horses, but this has gotten me curious:
  Does anyone know of any research related to the quality of human milk after using domperidone?  Does anyone know about this link found in horses treated with domperidone and lacking colostrum?#

Mary
this  fascinated me and I've been looking  it up instaed of   tidying up this morning!  A mother I knew decided to b/f after watching her mare foal. she said that  when te foal was born,  she  looked bewildered, what  on earth was  this  thing  that had just apperared.  But when  he started suckling,  she said it was as if a  light went on in   the mare's head and she suddenly knew what to do and started showing maternal behaviours.  

I'd not heard of equidone  at all in Britain and all the info I found was American.  [I am neither a vet, nor a pharmacist, but do know a BFC here in  Britain who is a vet who might  have an opinion] . Here a mare foals and  has colostrum, it's not a problem here.   It looks as if it's  main use is for  animals who have been poisoned by  eating a certain grass and are  therefore suffering from lack of milk,  also for fertility problems  and because it is available, for other uses.  Remember that  a foal must have colostrum to survive, as it  does not get any immunities  via the placenta.  In Britain, there is a voluntary scheme where orphan foals are fostered by mares who have lost their foals.  In women we don't give domperidone before birth [or do you in the USA?] It seems to be lack of immunity  because of  lack of colostrum.  In women anyting  we produce will be better than formula, and whatever problems we have   they are not as bad as   those mares and their foals can have.  At least our ears don't drop off![see below]

I  had a quick look in my  Ministry of Agriculture book on poisonous plants and their effects on Animals and Man[kind]and saw that it is caused by  a grazing on tall fescue [festuca arundinacaea] .  Poisoning ocurs in NZ, Australia and the USA but not in Britain.  It is assocated with 'fescue foot' n cattle,  they show lameness, then peripheral necrosis of affected limbs, with sloughing of the hooves, tail and sometimes ears..  caused by mycotoxins and alkaloids which inhibit rumen fermentation and reduce feed digestibility.  high temperatures increase toxicity.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/crops/g04669.htm
Cattle also produce less milk, have higher internal body temperatures and respiration rates, retain a rough hair coat, demonstrate unthrifty appearance, salivate excessively, have poor reproductive performance and maintain reduced serum prolactin levels. It   reduces weight gain  in grazing stock. Agalactia is especially severe when cows graze tall fescue during the last trimester of gestation. and  leads to thickened placentas, aborted fetuses and, if the offspring should survive, a lack of colostrum and milk for the calf...TF ...can also lead to bovine fat necrosis. As hard masses appear in the fatty tissues surrounding the intestines, this condition causes digestive problems and can also interfere with calving. .

Horses, particularly mares, are prone to reproductive problems such as late-term abortions and stillborn foals, prolonged gestation periods and dystocia, thickened or retained placentas, laminitis (founder), poor conception rates, decreased prolactin and progesterone levels and agalactia. 
Foals that survive in utero will generally be larger than normal, have overgrown hooves, poor suckling reflexes, incoordination and lowered body temperatures. Foals may also have poor immunity due to the lack of colostrum produced by the mare. 
Equidone

Domperidone is ...often indicated to treat fescue toxicosis and agalactia (lack of milk production). It is a selective D-2 dopamine receptor antagonist that competitively blocks dopamine receptor sites from activation by toxic D-2 dopamine receptor agonists such as those produced by the endophyte Neotyphodium coenophialum (a fungus that is found n endophyte-infected fescue seed, grass, and/or hay).It is generally used within two weeks pre-foaling or up to five days post foaling to treat agalactia in mares. 

PRECAUTIONS:
In certain instances of use, pre-mature leaking of milk and/or colostrum may occur. If leaking should occur and foaling does not occur within 24 hours, ...[administer a lower doseor discontinue]  reduced to very low levels or discontinued altogether.If excessive leaking of milk occurs, foals should be tested for serum Immunoglobulin G (lgG) levels. Foals with sub-par serum lgG levels should be treated by your veterinarian. [there is a higher degree of failure of passive transfer to foals born of mares that are on Domperidone. http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/best-bedding-for-foaling-dilemma-146574-5.html  ]

for interest.....equidone as a prophylactic in elephants..

The drug has been used in mares to ensure easier parturition and to avoid problems associated with difficult births. The increase in prolactin stimulated by Equidone facilitates relaxation of the gluteal muscles, stimulation of mammary gland development, softening of the cervix, enlarging of the vulva, and enhancement of 'broodiness'. We know that prolactin immunoactivity increases after the 7th month of gestation in both Asian and African elephants.Additional prolactin stimulated by Equidone might be of some use as a preventive measure against birthing difficulties and/or to improve maternal care immediately post-birth.

http://www.elephantcare.org/protodoc_files/new%2006/ElephantReprodTreatmentSummary_06.pdf

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2