Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:51:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Don't forget also that formula is being advertised and marketed heavily to senior citizens and their caregivers. Check out the magazines that are focused on senior citizens and you will see the formula ads. The MD offices also have the marketing "stuff"--memo pads, pens, posters, education/sales brochures, etc for the adult formulas.
Everyone in nursing homes, assisted living centers, etc are now on adult formula. My parents were told that they needed these for nutritional values by age 65 or so. They were given coupons, samples, and now my Dad is on Meals on Wheels, the senior services provides him with a 36 can case every month for a $5 donation. The rest of the funds for this is received from grant monies.
What is surprising to me is that I had to tell the nutrition director at the nursing home that my aunt could not drink soy based formula due to being a breast cancer survivor. This person, even with a Masters degree, had never heard of an increased risk factor of soy in breast cancer survivors, nor did she know that there are 2 protein based formulas-soy and cows milk. All she knew is that the formulas are "prescribed" by the MDs.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2