Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:31:33 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I want to comment on the recent posts on cross-feeding (cross-nursing), or the informal sharing of breastfeeding between sisters and friends.  The most recent posts were from Pam Hirsch, Nina Berry and Gonnecke.

The difference between "wet nursing" and "cross-nursing" is mainly that the wet nurse was usually paid and she was usually not the social equal of the family whose baby she breastfed.  The arrangement was not reciprocal.  Other other hand, "cross-feeding" ("cross-nursing") usually involves women who are social equals (sisters or friends) and may be reciprocal.  In fact, it commonly is reciprocal.  Often, it is informal and may involve breastfeeding the baby on rare occasions, or more often.  I included two very contrasting cases of cross-feeding in my 2000 MA thesis, a cultural history in the History of Medicine.  Currently I am researchng the subject, mainly looking at what happened and the issues important to the women concerned, though I am also mentioning policies (such as LLLI's) and a number of other issues (community disapprobation, fears about cross-infection, female bonding) which provide the context for what seems to the mothers themselves a very informal situation.  I agree with Pam that cross-feeding is more common that most people realise, as for the most part, women don't usually tell people outside their circle of close friends.

My interest is in the situation in Australia, and I hope to begin recruiting respondents for my next study in a month or two.  (I'm happy to discuss this off list.)

Virginia
in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia,
where we're now on Level 5 water resrictions

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2