Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:01:19 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

I have been a single mom throughout my child's life, so my ability to attend conferences is directly related to this issue.

When my now nine year old was an arm baby (about 5 months), I attended a American Academy of Pediatrics- CATCH (Community Access to Child Health) conference in San Diego.  I enlisted the aid of my best friend from residency (a male) to attend the conference with me.  My son was named after him.

At one of the sessions, my little guy got restless and chatty.  I walked out of the room.  Very shortly after one of the conference organizers came into the hall saying, You must come back in, this conference is as much for you as the baby.  He is the reason why we are here.  Made this new momma feel like she belonged.

Nursing my son in conferences (he nursed until 2 7/12 year old) was never an issue after that.  BUT, as he was an extremely active kind of a guy, after about 12 months it was difficult for me to pay attention to both my child and the conference.

My son has fond memories of attending a HUGE AAP conference in Chicago when he was 4.  They had full childcare, I could actually not worry about my son and attend the meetings. I've tried to pick conferences where there is childcare as I don't have the benefit of a significant other to watch my son.  These are few and far in between.  The Yosemite conference sponsored by Children's Hospital Madera is now defunct but I was able to attend for 2 years.  Corporate babysitting is out of my means (and the means for most parents doubling to tripling the cost of a conference).  I tried it for the first time this May- didn't work well for my son- he needs someone he knows caring for him unless he is in a group setting with other children his age.  He's a veteran of Latch Key and Boys and Girls Club due to his working mom.

This summer, I went out of town  (Florida) by myself to attend a 4 day conference.  A once in a lifetime treat as my mother was able to come (Chicago to California) to help out.  Not a minor thing as my son has special health care needs.   However it took me nine years to gather up the "courage" to spend that much time away from my son.

I hope to participate in bringing childcare to conferences so parents don't miss out.  In the interim I do a lot of on line continuing education or attend meetings close to home as much as possible.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD
  Petaluma CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2