Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:44:24 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (124 lines)
Re: antioxidantsThere has been so much correspondence about storing EBM and I would like to pass on the following study because nobody seems to be relating to the problems of prolonged storage.  I agree that the occasional bag left in the freezer is better than formula but I have now changed completely my guidelines to working mothers who need to regularly pump and store milk for the baby to get during the hours the mother is out of the home.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor
Israel Childbirth Education Centre

----- Original Message ----- 
To: Wendy Blumfield 
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: antioxidants

<<< Back to Article List 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: British Medical Journal           Released: Tue 19-Oct-2004, 14:20 ET 
Embargo expired: Wed 20-Oct-2004, 18:10 ET 
Printer-friendly Version 

Refrigerated or Frozen Expressed Breast Milk Loses Its Antioxidant Content

Description

Freezing or refrigerating expressed breast milk for longer than 48 hours substantially lowers its antioxidant content, reveals a small study. 

ARCHIVES OF DISEASE IN CHILDHOOD (FETAL AND NEONATAL EDITION)

[Effect of storage on breast milk antioxidant activity Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2004; 89: F518-20]

Newswise < Freezing or refrigerating expressed breast milk for longer than 48 hours substantially lowers its antioxidant content, reveals a small study in the Fetal and Neonatal Edition of the Archives of Disease in Childhood.

This may be of particular importance for premature babies, who both have reduced antioxidant capacity as well as high levels of oxygen free radical activity as a result of infection and blood transfusions, say the authors.

The researchers assessed fresh breast milk samples taken from eight mothers who had delivered premature babies and from eight mothers who had delivered their babies at term.

The antioxidant capacity of these samples was tested fresh, after refrigeration at 4 degrees Centigrade for 48 hours and for seven days, and after freezing at minus 20 degrees Centigrade for 48 hours and for seven days.

The antioxidant capacity of five different brands of formula milk was also tested under the same conditions.

The results showed that fresh human milk, irrespective of whether it came from a mother who had given birth to a premature or a term baby, had the highest antioxidant capacity of any of the samples, and significantly more than formula milk.

The authors point out that differences between human and formula milk are not only due to its source, but also to the way in which it is processed to prepare the formulas.

But while antioxidant levels of formula milk remained stable whether refrigerated or frozen, levels in fresh human milk fell the longer it was stored and the colder the temperature at which it was stored.

Compared with fresh milk, human milk frozen for seven days had the lowest antioxidant levels. And refrigeration for seven days was equivalent to freezing for 48 hours in terms of the effects on antioxidant levels.

They conclude that in order to preserve its antioxidant content, expressed breast milk should be stored no longer than 48 hours at refrigerator temperature, and that it should not be frozen.

Contacts:
Professor Thomas Hegyi, Department of Pediatrics, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
Tel: +1 732 235 7354
Email: [log in to unmask]
or
Dr Nazeeh Hanna
Tel: + 1 732 235 3809
Email: [log in to unmask]

Click here to view the paper in full:
http://press.psprings.co.uk/fnn/november/518_fn49247.pdf

Judy Siegel-Itzkovich
Health and Science Reporter and Software Reviewer
The Jerusalem Post

POB 81, 
91000 Jerusalem
ISRAEL

Phone: 972-2-5315665
         02-5315665

Editorial Office Fax
      972-2-5389527
         02-5389527

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Jerusalem Post Internet Edition:
www.jpost.com
Click on HEALTH & SCI-TECH section

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:43:00 +0200
  To: Judy Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: antioxidants

Dear Judy
  Some time ago you sent me a very interesting study about the effect of refrigeration/freezing on the antioxidants in breast milk.  
  I wanted to quote you and this study because all the lactation forums discuss storage of breast milk for mothers returning to work, and I wanted to add some data about this issue. Unfortunately your letter disappeared from my computer and I would be really grateful if you could send it to me again.
  Many many thanks
  All the best,
  Wendy
  This Mail is Scanned virus free by Jpost Anti Virus System.
  a mail that is infected will be deleted! 
  a mail from a source that is blacklisted in "spamcop" system will be blocked.
  please advise the sender to resend from another mail in such occurrence.

************************************************************************************
  This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by
  PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals  computer viruses.
  ************************************************************************************

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2