Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:55:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Dear all:

If you are going to make a strict comparison of pump companies to for profit milk banking, it 
would be: "Does the person who is manufacturing the product get paid for the work that they do?"

In the case of pump manufacture, yes, those who manufacture the parts are paid.
In the case of pump rental, those who clean and service the pumps are not paid.
In the case of for profit milk banking, those who manufacture the milk are not paid.

I you are going to say that you are PROTECTING women and their babies by not paying them, then 
that is patronizing them.  These women have a right to full information and they have a right to 
make their own choices.  

If you do not disclose full information that their milk is being sold for a profit and let them assume 
that this milk is being donated to premies, that is unethical by any definition.

If you are using them as human labs to study their explosure to disease, they should have fully 
informed consent and the research should undergo a Human Subjects Review Board.  Even to use 
20 year old data, for which no personal identifiers were used, my research had to undergo a full 
Human Subjects Review Board and I had to show that these women had been given full informed 
consent 20 years before I did the research. 

If a pump company did research on women to develp a pump, they should be using fully informed 
consent and they should also have their research undergo a Human Subjects Review Board before 
conducting that research.  I would have just as much trouble with a pump company that used the 
same tactics for selling their product.

Best regards, 

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

PS.  I have worked long enough in the micronutrients field to know all the tactics used by for profit 
companies.  Some are ethical and some are not.  Misleading women to do your work for you 
without fully informing them that you are making a profit is not ethical.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2