Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:42:28 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Last week, Nikki Lee responded to my post about Lachlan not pooping with 
> "Dear Friends: >This baby seems to represent one end of the bell  curve. > I worked with one baby like this. He cleared his  meconium by day 4, 
> and > then pooped once a week on his own for the next 5-6  months. (It was > always on > a Thursday!). He gained an average of 3/4 oz/day.
>    He smiled, woke up to ask to eat, woke up to look  around, peed and > farted.................."healthy, comfortable, and  happy."  And pooped on
> Thursdays."

Well, this is a funny coincidence, but Lachlan has pooped every Thursday for 3 weeks now, and not a day in between. 3/9 (the day we saw our regular ped for his first checkup, when she recommended glycerin suppository, which we gave and after which he had 2 huge blowouts), then 3/16 (after I gave a glycerin suppository against my better judgement, but he was finally acting really uncomfortable and fussy and I'd tried bicycling his legs, massage, etc, and when he immediately pooped I started getting really concerned that he needed rectal stimulation to poop, but 2 week check the next day at regular ped's office, normal exam, lots of reassurance from the doc), and today, in the office of the pediatrician to whom I went for a second opinion/consult, on the recommendation of a co-worker LC....right before she came in to examine him! In the waiting room as I was filling out paperwork, he got red in the face and acted like he was doing something, and when I got him in to the exam room and undressed to weigh him, his back was covered head to toe in a explosion of soft loose yellow poop! This ped also gave me lots of reassurance, but also showed me some wonderful ayurvedic techniques, reassured me about my diet (vegan, tons of soy, no allergy sx for him), and discussed homeopathic things to try if we're getting to a week *and* he's acting uncomfortable.

I brought home a scale from work last week, but haven't been obsessing, just occasionally checking. He usually transfers 5oz from R breast and 1-3oz from L. Birth wt 7-5, he's up to 8-15 today, average gain is about 1-2 oz/day. Still pink, healthy, happy, mellow, bright eyed, filling out especially in the face -getting jowls!, soft abdomened, passing lots of gas, no vomiting, and such a wonderful nurser! 

No more sticking stuff up his butt... and I'm ready for his weekly blowout and bath (thank you Nikki ha ha). Thank you all for the feedback, suggestions, and reassurances. 
Vicki Hayes RN IBCLC in WA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2