Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:11:40 -0700
Content-Type:
TEXT/plain
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/plain (27 lines)
Lots of info in the archives on green milk, but not exactly related to the question I have.

I am working with a mom whose baby was hospitalized and received 10 days of antibiotics at 4 months of age for viral pneumonia. Shortly after this hospitalization, the baby began having diahrreah - has had it off and on for 2 months now, and constantly over the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately, due to this diahrreah, the baby had a huge workup at yet another 24-hour hospital stay last week. During the lab workup, blood was found in the stool, and a sonogram ruled out any colon problems. 

The Dr has put the mother on an elimination diet. She does not eat dairy, citrus, soy, coffee, and has tried to eliminate wheat (but says she is having a hard time completely eliminating the wheat). 

Baby has been on probiotics for 3 weeks. Mom says that she began seeing the stools turn green in color a few days ago, so she pumped her milk and found that her milk is green too! She says she was taking a new vitamin, but discontinued it one week ago, prior to seeing that her milk is green. She denies any consumption of green food in the last 24 hours.

Mom nurses throughly on one side at each feeding, and does not feel she has oversupply, so I don't think this green stool and/or diahrreah is related to foremilk/hindmilk issues.

I'd like to know if anyone knows if there is a connection between the green milk and green stools, and if I am missing something here that I could communicate to the physician. I know this is all rather complicated, but any feedback someone out there has for me in this situation would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2