Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:19:13 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
Dear List:

I have a client with a 6 week old, 2nd baby, 1st breastfed for 27 months, born at home, 
normal vaginal delivery, with no complications and 2.5 hour pushing stage, who was 
finally diagnosed at 2 1/2 weeks of age as having hyperinsulinanemia.  They determined 
her pancreas was not producing insulin.  After feeding OK the first 2 days, she began 
not feeding at all well - by breast, bottle, finger-feeding, etc.  She was hospitalized and 
seen by another LC who worked with her in the hospital.  She was bottlefed (to measure
 intake) EBM and gavage fed what she did not take by bottle, to increase weight gain 
which had plummeted.  

After 4 weeks in the hospital, baby was sent home bottlefeeding mothers milk.  Her supply
is excellent.  

I have found this baby to have an "odd" suck.  She pushes the center of her tongue upwards
 and her tongue is drawn back behind the gum line (but with no obvious frenulum) and shows
 a disorganized suck.  She has been treated  with C-S (cranial-sacral) therapy since leaving
 the hospital by a Chiropractor who does not now see anything wrong with her oral patterns.

I guess my question is to anyone who has worked with a baby with this disorder.  Are there
any 'typical' behaviors?  I cannot find anything in the archives (though it sounds familiar to me)
and have not had a client with this kind of suck before.  I have been an IBCLC for 18 years,
but have not found a baby before to have a suck that is like this one. !  It may be a problem
initiated by 4 1/2 weeks in hospital, using bottles -- but the mother's mother is a pediatric
nurse and she noted on the first day after birth that she had never seen a baby with a 'suck'
like this one. [ I wasn't told this until I also advised the mother I had not assessed a baby with 
this type of suck before...and that I was unsure of the cause.]

Any input would be appreciated.  At our consultation today, we were not successful in attaining 
a good latch.  Baby puts her mouth on the nipple - tries to attach but is unable to draw in enough 
breast tissue to achieve a good drawing latch.  She easily comes on & off.  No milk transfer occurs.  

Warmly, 
Sharon Mattes, IBCLC, RLC, LLLL, AAHCC
Natural Beginnings...the informed parent's resource
(972) 495-2805 - www.naturalbeginningsonline.com
http://www.naturalbeginningsonline.com/bf_lactationconsulting.html

People don't care how much you know - until they know how much you care!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2