Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:54:42 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Priscilla,
>> They apparently did a urine check and it came back positive for cannabis, which she says must be related to the fenugreek, since she
>> doesn't do pot.  Does anyone know?  She feels like she needs to clear her name.

Responding as a former substance abuse counselor:  I've never heard of fenugreek causing this problem.  The extract is used in artificial maple flavoring, so it seems like it would come up often if it caused cross positives.  5 years ago reps from the company we bought tests from *claimed* to have no cross positive results with the marijuana test (there were other tests and apparently some meds for depression did yield positive results for amphetamine).  When we had a report from someone that they tested "hot" but were really clean because they had taken___________ we just called the test company and asked if they had information on false positives for that substance.  Usually they didn't.  I have no idea what tests are like these days in terms of accuracy, but I'd guess more accurate rather than less.  We were just using instant testing (similar to pee sticks for pregnancy tests), but there was also the option for a lab to do a more specific test (gas chromotology -- or something like that) it would assign a value to the level of the THC content so we could track a downward tend in users as they remained clean.  

If she doesn't do pot and wants to clear her name she could ask that she be tested with the most accurate test available to her.  THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) is fat soluble and won't clear the system for several weeks.  Is it possible that she has been smoking pot and is too embarrassed to tell anyone?  Do they suspect that baby's health problems to be related to marijuana use by the mother?  Seems like she'd have to be a frequent smoker for that to happen -- in which case I wouldn't be surprised that she has low milk production since that is often a side effect from marijuana use.

I'd be interested in how this turns out, especially if fenugreek is discovered (not just assumed) to be the culprit.

Warmly,
Dawn Martin, IBCLC, CD(DONA)
Austin, TX

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2