Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:11:41 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I recommend goats milk formula (not goats milk) to mothers who need to suppliment and have a history of milk allergy (lactose interance as some call it).  Where there is no history of allergy I encourage cows milk based formula.  

I recently had a situation where the baby at 4 weeks was under birth weight.  Amongst taking all the usual steps to increase supply encouraged the mum to compliment the baby with ABM if the baby would not settle. The mum used cows based ABM.  The baby's weight did increase but urine output and poos were still boarder line and behaviour at breast and bottle was what appeared to be incompetency with suck, swallow and breath cycle.  A digital examination ( the first one that I have done in 5 years of counselling) and the baby could suckle as well as the best of them. The baby was unsettled and after a couple of sucks of either bottle or breast would draw knees up, cry and be generally very unhappy.  It took 20 minutes to consume 20-25 ml of formula from a bottle

After consulting with an IBCLC explained that she also had a similar situation and encouraged the mother to go dairy free, soy free.  I decided to the same and encouraged the mother to switch to goats milk based formula (I do not encourage soy based formula - another topic that does not need covering here).  The change was huge.  The baby is settled during feeds, feeding more quickly, weight gains this week 500g, urine and poos are no longer just boarder line.  

We still need to work on increasing supply and supply is slowly being restored.

My feeling is that I would recommend cows based ABM over goats milk formula, but there are circumstances where goats based ABM is the ABM of choice.

Ruth Fiedler
Australia

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2