Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:29:20 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I don't know if this is anything like what you are looking for, but here is one thing:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp

As I have posted before, I used certified raw goat's milk with my last three adopted children.  I do NOT agree with the practice of choosing to use goat milk, when a sufficient amount of human milk is a reasonable option.  I used it as a supplement for my smaller induced supply of breast milk.  I didn't think it was much closer to human milk than cow's milk.  I had a hard time finding anything scientific about it.  I had information from Meyenberg, found some tables comparing the composition of human, cow and goat milk.  I also looked at recipes for fresh baby formula from my collection of antique medical books.  I basically found what I could and then went by instinct, beyond that.  I also watched my babies carefully, for signs that the recipe might need to be adjusted.  When telling anyone else about my use of it, I am always careful to explain that fact, and impress upon anyone considering using it that they need to understand that they would be assuming 100% responsibility for the results.

I felt that there were basically two issues where there was a potential advantage over commercial formula.  One is in the fact that the goat's milk protein tends to be easier to digest, and some people who have a hard time digesting cow's milk do better with goat's milk.  I also felt that there were advantages to fresh, raw milk, over something that had been extensively processed at high temperatures.  However, in that way, I think raw cow's milk would probably have been the same.  I have also suspected that some of the early infant formulas prescribed by physicians a century ago, which were based on milk that was just expressed from the cow, would have been preferable to the evaporated milk, water and corn syrup formula that I was raised on.  

My experience with using goat milk was very positive.  My daughter, Julia, who was six months old and nine pounds, when I got her, was the first one I used it with.  The most immediate change in her was that her color and energy level improved.  Having been born with a diaphragmatic hernia, her left lung was very underdeveloped, and she struggled to get enough oxygen.  After two months, we moved to Utah, and I didn't have a source of raw goat milk for a while. Her color and energy level deteriorated, and then improved immediately, once I found raw goat milk for her again.  I had tried using powdered goat milk, but it did not have the same effect.  This was before I finally figured out how to get her breastfeeding. I could never pump more than a dribble of milk, so the only way my kids got a significant amount of breast milk was from breastfeeding.  About the time the goats dried up to kid, I finally got her nursing and getting some raw milk from me, and she did just fine from then on.  

My son, Joseph, was the only one that got only my milk and the goat milk formula.  With both of my girls, I combined goat milk and SMA for their bottles and/or Lact-Aids.  With Joseph, there wasn't another choice.  When I got him, at two weeks old, it had already been established that he didn't tolerate cow's milk based formulas (like many black babies).  He had done well on soy.  However, I am allergic to soy and using soy formula in the Lact-Aid is like pouring battery acid on my breasts.  I tried using Nutramigen, which I had used with my second and third babies.  However, even at two weeks old, Joseph refused to suck on anything with that vile taste to it.  My choices were to bottle feed soy formula, or breastfeed with goat milk formula to supplement my milk.  I didn't think there was much doubt which was better, for many reasons!  

I think one of the most important facts for anyone considering using goat milk is that it HAS to be diluted if it is being given to an infant, and try to explain this to anyone with any thought whatsoever of using goat milk.  One of my cookbooks has a recipe for goat milk formula that calls for adding only powdered lactose to whole milk.  Every time I see it, I hope that no one has tried raising a newborn on that recipe, because it could be deadly.  

I have said all of this before, and apologize for the repetition!

Aloha,
Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2