Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 05:34:30 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Ann,
With my first I waited and exclusively breastfed or breastmilk fed until 6.5 months as recommended by LLL in 1984 ( I think they said not necessary until after 6 months or something like that.)  Then it was just a feeding every other day or maybe 2-3 times a week.  No pressure on baby or me.  With my second, I waited 7 months because she really didnt act interested, and I didnt feel any pressure to start.  With my 3rd I waited until after 8 months because an allergist had told one of my fellow nurses that it was best to wait until after 8 months to introduce any solids to prevent/decrease allergies etc.

None of my children had any problems with anemia etc.  I have never mixed a bottle of formula in my life, which many people find funny.   I was working (part time and full time) with all of them at the time and pumping or my husband would bring them to my work at the hospital to nurse at night.

No problems with my health care provider (a different one each time due to moves) but I also didnt tell them what I did.  At 6 months I think they said it was time to start and I said okay.  And then they gave me a handout.  I never took it as a mandate, just as a guide.  LLL made alot more sense and my kids were very chubby and healthy.

Only my 2nd child has allergies and that was after receiving an antibiotic for an ear infection, I believe.  So now she is allergic to sulfa and erythromycin (pediazol).  I think she was 8 months when she started this allergy.

I am lucky that my provider valued human milk and never interfered.  He wasnt as passionate as I am about it but he certainly didnt give me any misinformation or de-value the milk.

The peds all knew I breastfed until at least 2 -2.5 years.

Theresa in sunny Florida

Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have been asked to write an article about children who exclusively breastfeed past the AAP recommended age of beginning solids. I have heard many mothers say that they waited for eight, ten, twelve months before beginning solids.
If you have a child who was breastfed only for this length of time or longer, I would appreciate hearing from you about
why you waited (or the child waited), if there were any problems with growth or anemia, and if the child was later sensitive to other foods or subsequently developed any type of allergies. What was the reaction of your health care provider?

Thanks. And Happy New Year!
Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2