Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:52:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hi friends,

Here at my hospital in Madrid, mothers who have c-sections spend about 12 hours in the anesthesia reccovery area, while their newborns wait at
the nursery. There they always receive glucose water and/or formula. There is always some excuse. This baby is so big, he will be too hungry to
wait for his mother. This baby is so small, she needs to be supplemented until her mother arrives... a true LC nightmare. I have worked at this
hospital for nine months but only as a practicum student for the IBCLC, so I had no power to change anything. It was very frustrating. And of
course, the latch and the bonding were much more difficult for many mothers and babies after a 12 hour separation. Sometimes when the babies
where brought to their mother, they had a belly full of formula, so of course they would not be interested in nursing and that made the mother go
through a very hard time. Made for a lot of work and patience. Specially, telling the mom to be patient with herself, her child, and the disastrous
spanish way of doing things.

About the bassinette policy, it also states here that no one can carry a child in their arms around the hallways because more than one a mother
has become dizzy or even fainted (specially csection mothers) and the child has been in danger of being dropped.On the one hand, I hink this
makes sense. Maybe it is the way that things are explained to mothers that is wrong. There is a big diffference between telling a mom you cant
take your baby in your arms, it is forbidden, and telling her look, sionce you might be weak from loss of blood after the surgery/birth, it would be
better if during the first one or two days you try to be in bed or seated when you have your child in your arms, just in case you get a bit dizzy.

Justsome thoughts.

Kika Baeza, MD family physitian
Madrid, Spain

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2