Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 14:27:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
    I have a friend of a friend who has been emailing me with questions regarding treatment for what she feels is chronic yeast.  She has 3 infections (episiotomy infec, + sinus X2) over her first few months of BF.  She then had breast pain which was treated as mastitis with more antibiotics, and finally treated for yeast with nystatin for baby, lotramin for her.  Not resolved, so midwife ordered ultrasound of breast (most of the pain is in the L breast, with mild to none in R breast).   Also at the time of ultrasound she was treated with clindamycin for possible staph infection.
   Pain continued and became worse.  So she was treated with 300mg diflucan taken 3 d apart, followed by 14 d of 100mg of diflucan, the 7 more days of diflucan.   Still no resolution.   After 2 weeks, midwife agreed to use 400mg diflucan, followed by 200mg/d/ for 3 weeks.  after 10 days, she was painfree for a week, but with 3 days left of meds the pain is back in the L quite significant, and the R somewhat.   
   She also has been on acidophillus, grapefruit seed extract, odorless garlic pills, and stress tabs.    She felt either the stress tabs or the GSE gave her back much of her energy, even tho the pain was still there.   She began the supplements before the first diflucan doses, but only took them intermittantly during the higher diflucan dose.
   She feels like quitting BF now and baby is only 6 months old.   He by the way has had no yeast symptoms ever, but has been treated with nystatin.  His treatment has not always been consistent however, by her own admission.
   Any ideas?   my concern is that is continues to be painful mostly on one side.
Michelle Scott, MA,RD,IBCLC in NH

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2