quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Comments:
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear Sharon,

I don't use the Haberman much, but it has been the only thing that worked for a few moms.  This device works by compression rather than suction, so it is not really appropriate for suck training or transitioning to the breast, in most cases.  It is good for babies who cannot develop suction, but can compress, such as cleft palate babies, which is where I have used it the most.  It also proved to be a good transition tool for a client of mine who was going back to work, but could not get her breastfeeding baby to use any kind of regular bottle nipple (also not good with the cup).  For some reason, she would use the Haberman, and after a few weeks transitioned to a regular bottle.

As with any device, I believe this one can be very valuable in some circumstances.  It can be a good way to get food into a baby with a very dysfunctional suck who isn't doing well at the breast or with conventional bottles.  It could help keep a baby fed with minimum stress until the baby was able to go to breast or could be a way to permanently deliver food, hopefully breastmilk, to a baby that will never be able to suck properly.  You might want to contact Medela for more info on this device and some case studies on its use.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2