Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:41:58 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I didn't see the original post on this, but would like to comment. Just a few days ago a mother was flown to our hospital with a C-3 fracture due to a car accident. She was barely able to sit up, and in extreme pain. Baby was taken by c-section at ballarded at 34 weeks. Mom is in ICU, but one of the first things the mom asked for was a breastpump! 

This is also a mom with a history of domestic violence, she is poor, and lives in a remote area. She has had 7 kids, and has breastfed them all.

AT first I thought, no way is this going to happen. But guess what? Where there is a will there is a way!  She is pumping away, and actually getting milk one day after surgery.  She is in a lot of pain, but can fully sit up (but can't move her neck at all, so we watch the clock for her when pumping). And the staff has been amazingly supportive.

This mom brings tears to my eyes every time I walk in the room and see her pumping. I sometimes can't even get moms who are feeling perfectly fine to pump for five minutes. It is too much of a bother. Yahoo for this mom!

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2