Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:02:51 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Laurie's post was about an 8-week baby refusing to breastfeed after Mum had returned to work.  This sort of situation is, as you'll be well aware Laurie, usually very complex, rather than just one thing.  I wonder how long Mum had been giving the baby bottles, to get her/him accustoned to them, and if this started quite early?  It may be that the baby is using a nrusing bottle just find - but on strike about breastfeeding.  If the baby is using the Avent teat, this is very short, encouraging babies to take a nipple only into the front of the mouth.  If there is fast letdown and the baby is sucking on Mums the way s/he sucks on the artificial teat, this would explain why the milk is running out of the baby's mouth.  It also means that the baby isn't cointrolling the flow by use of a front-to-back roller motion.  I usually take milk coming out of the mouth as a hint that the baby is not latched properly.  Sometimes getting a baby to take a big mouthful of the underside of the breast will alleviate this problem, but some babies are more willing than others, aren't they!
   You've probably had some suggestions already about slowing the flow at the start of a feed, e.g. expressing off the first letdown, taking the baby off after half a minute to catch her/his breath, and again is spluttering.  So I won't go into all that here.
   I wonder if the grandmother who is the carer could take the baby in to the mother's workplace for a lunchtime breastfeed, limiting the number of feeds by bottle?  (Okay, okay, but I just had to say it.)  It might also be helpful if the grandmother puts the bottle down several times during the feed, mimicking the pauses between let-downs at breast, and also feeds on both sides with the bottle.  Any chance that the grandmother would cup-feed, at least for a time, allowing all suck to be done at breast?  Weekends mibght be a good time to work on all this.
   Offering suggestions is difficult without my having seen the mother and baby.  So the above ideas are not comprehensive, just to suggest some avenues to investigate.
    Virginia
     in Brisbane

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2