Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:49:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Dear Monique,

I am sorry that I am way behind in my Lacnet mail. I have been out of town for almost two weeks but I did not see this addressed and it is important. The pineal gland does NOT produce prolactin.The pituitary gland located directly behind the eyes is responsible for prolactin and for oxytocin production (among other things including but not limited to thyroid stimulating hormone, vasopressin, and several other very important hormones.) The pineal gland has been the source of mystery and not a little speculation over the years. It was thought to be the location of the soul for a while in the 17th and 18th century. It seems to have something to do with the onset of puberty but this is still in the speculative phase. It does produce melatonin and thus seems to affect our circadian rhythms. 

As for your patient, the answer to her question is impossible to answer given the information which she had for you.The MRI and a good neuro-radiologist are what she seems to me to need at this time. There are many possible causes for soft tissue masses in the area which she describes- some "benign" (in quotes because nothing is really benign in the brain since there is not a lot of space to grow and even a benign mass can cause pressure and crowding.) and some not so benign. I have never heard of increased masses in nursing mothers and therefore I think that you are forced to assume that this is not associated with nursing until proven otherwise.

Please keep me posted.

Kate McIntosh MD FAAP
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2