Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:06:08 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
My 2 agurot about breast compression.   I agree that it is not necessary if everything is fine, however, I too, teach it to many, if not to most of the mothers I help. 

To give an example of how it can be useful in two very different  situations: compression obviously helps the baby get more milk when not getting enough milk or falling asleep before getting enough at the breast.
On the other hand, when a mother has an overabundant supply, compression helps her finish the first side thoroughly, ensuring the baby will get higher fat milk before finishing or switching sides, which will  help control the mother's supply from being stimulated to greater volumes of milk than necessary, as well as help prevent colic. 
I can think of quite a few other examples of when it can be useful, such as to shorten feeds when nipples are sore. 
Sometimes it is useful even when there isn't a problem, for instance mothers often ask how they will know if the baby is finished on one side.  Do compressions when she thinks baby is finished; if, even then baby isn't drinking, she can assume baby is  finished. 

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2