Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:16:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I thought I would share some of the highs and lows of my day at work, which I know many of you, can identify with. I have given it a lot of thought about how there can be so many highs, lows, and frustrations in one day. I saw an elated couple, age 41, with a beautiful baby boy, (with "no bottles-pacifier signs on the crib). 1st baby after 3 in-vitro tries, they thanked me for my help and the confidence I gave them. Room 2 was a Mom who had given birth without anesthesia. Her baby was so bright and alert and the mother was talking about how she has enjoyed this so much because they can look in each other's eyes and they have really connected and was so comfortable with nursing frequently. Room 3 was a Dad who really got it! When his baby wanted to suck her hands instead of immediately thinking that she was hungry and wasn't "getting enough" said, "these hands are her best friends. She has known them longer than she has known anything else." I counseled a Mom of a 6 months old whose baby was also an in-vitro fertilization, who was so teary because her milk supply had been decreasing over the last couple of months and the baby would only nurse when she was full, even though she had been doing all normal things to increase it. Then there was a consult to Pedi ICU to help a Mom pump. Her 4 day old baby was admitted with symptoms of the "flu" and taken off the breast and given formula because Mom also had a fever, and they didn't want to get the baby sicker!!! Arrgh! The pediatrician also didn't want her to give her pumped milk because she was on an antibiotic, and told her to pump and dump another WEEK after getting off the med. I gave the Mom the correct info on the antibiotic, which was safe. The nurse called the baby's DR and discussed this, especially that this baby really needs Mom's antibodies in the milk, but he didn't budge. I copied printed information for Mom and just hope the baby gets discharged in a day or two and that she make the correct choice when she goes home. Just another day in the life of a Hospital Lactation Consultant.

Dianne  RN FACCE IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2